Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Owensboro Church of Christ (Church of Christ)

I’m up-dating these periodically when I get a chance during the weekend to sneak off to a church of my choosing, so for future reference, there won't be any rhyme or reason to these postings.  I'll just get to them whenever I can.  

This weekend, I was able to go to the Owensboro Church of Christ in Owensboro, Ky.  Those familiar with Owensboro would recognize it as one of the three or four churches alongside highway 60 next to the jail.  It’s fairly indistinguishable, but I selected it because I have a small familiarity with the Church of Christ, as a denomination, and it peaked my curiosity.

So, the Church of Christ denomination, for all intents and purposes, is a version of conservative Christianity that’s not unlike the Southern Baptist tradition I grew up with.  In reality, there’s only about three differences worth mentioning between Southern Baptist beliefs and the Church of Christ.  First, they reject the doctrine of “once saved; always saved”.  I had this explained to me by a deacon who made the casual remark:  “oh, we don’t believe that once saved is always saved – we believe that you can willingly choose to fall away from God.  But, honestly, who would do that kind of thing?”  Obviously, I had to play my tact in response:  “you would be surprised”.  Secondly, they believe that Baptism is a necessary component for salvation.  Whereas many Christian denominations believe Baptism to be the outward symbolic representation of your choice to be “saved”, Church of Christ folks believe that it’s a necessary step.  The deacon I spoke with explained it by using an analogy:  “it’s like saying you’re going to Atlanta, but you stop just short of the city limits, turn back around, but still mention to people you went to Atlanta – you didn’t because you didn’t follow the path all the way.”  Of course, I had no real contention there.  Baptism is really just an interpretative piece of dogma that all faiths can banter between themselves.  Lastly, Church of Christ congregations normally eschew the use of organs and pianos, hence all the hymnals we sang were acapella.

It’s been so long since I’ve written a “traditional” entry I’ve forgotten almost how to begin.  I pulled up to the parking lot about fifteen minutes before the service was to begin.  This church was surprisingly big on the outside, and quite roomy on the inside as well.  As soon as I walked in, I approached the first two people I saw (they were behind a counter – they seemed important).  They introduced me to another gentlemen who gave me a kiss.  A Hershey’s kiss.  I have to say – it was the first time I was offered chocolate in church.  That’s always a plus. 

During a conversation with one of the deacons, I was asked a little about my spirituality and my background.  This is actually a question I get asked by readers as well:  “what do you say when they start asking questions about you?”  Well, I respond with the truth:  I’m visiting your church.  I was raised Southern Baptist.  I am very interested in different churches and what they teach.  That’s usually a satisfactory response.  Never once have I been asked if I was saved.  I almost thought I was going to be asked that here, though.  If I had been, I would’ve responded ‘yes’ because I technically was ‘saved’ – good old Southern Baptist doctrine teaches I still have a nice, cushy spot in Heaven (once saved; always saved).  At least I don’t have to lie, huh?

Once inside the church, I took a seat and looked around.  The church sanctuary was quite big.  The inside was an inverted V-shaped with the point of the V being the roof.  It probably seated about 200 people and it would be safe to say that nearly 175 were there, so we were bumping shoulders.  There were dark pink and white stained glass windows that projected a light pink hue onto the crowd.  The front altar had a podium, a few chairs for those leading the worship to sit in, and a baptismal that was closed off.  One thing that was really out of place:  the PowerPoint presentation.  They don’t eschew all technology, but it was interesting to be in a church service that used no musical instruments, yet they happily embraced PowerPoint.  The congregants themselves were from all walks of life.  I saw people there in suits and ties, I saw folks who dressed in tropical shirts.  It was a mix of Sunday best and casual.  Older folks, younger folks, teens, middle aged adults – everyone was pretty much equally represented.  You can tell that, looking at their congregation, they’re a growing church with a future, especially with the number of younger folks they had.  They were all spread out, but there seemed to be a good number of teens and young adults.

As I was seated, a gentleman introduced himself as one of the deacons of the church.  He and spoke for about ten minutes where I picked up most of the doctrinal differences, and he gave me a bit of history on the church as well, and gave me a bulletin as well.  Historically, the Owensboro Church of Christ was opened in the 1950s and was a split group.  Apparently, there’s a “liberal” branch of the Church of Christ and a “conservative” branch.  I chose the liberal branch that day.  Now, we use the term “liberal” in very loose terms.  They’re still Bible-believing literalists.  They aren’t, however, what they themselves call “anti’s”.  Anti’s, according to the gentleman I spoke with, are the Church of Christ folks who are hardcore anti-everything in their approach.  They’re the outspoken fundamentalists that one would associated with the Church of Christ denomination.  These guys, while they proselytize, prefer to keep to themselves relative to their counter-parts.  Again, I’m speaking in terms of relative activism.

So, the church service began and I took my seat.  They began with their announcements.  Apparently they had a “friend day” coming up where they challenged everyone to bring a friend to church.  They get points for activism on that front.  They also had some youth meetings to announce, as well as a few long-term issues they discussed.  Normally I touch on the outreach at the end of the blog, but I’ll go ahead and say that this church, for its size, has a decent amount of outreach programs.  It’s not the highest member to outreach opportunity ratio I’ve seen, but it was adequate enough.

We sang quite a few of the old-time hymns, most of which I knew and, for shits and giggles, joined in with (mostly out of nostalgia).  Some of the hymns:  “Come, Now is the Time to Worship, To God Be the Glory, The Old Rugged Cross, Jesus Loves the Little Children, and Amazing Grace.”  That’s about as down-home and southern as you can get.  A point to recognize on the singing and the acoustics:  one notices this quite often when one visits numerous churches, but usually when there’s a piano or organ playing, it’s more likely individuals are more restrained in their singing because the instruments can drowned it out.  Not here, though.  The lack of instruments actually provided an incentive to sing.  If you didn’t sing, it appeared to be quite awkward, and while not everyone belted out the lyrics as hard as they could, there was a forcefulness that has been absent in a lot of my other church visits.

On the topic of music, the high point of the service was their rendition of The Greatest Commandments.  If I’ve ever heard this song, it’s been ages.  What they did, though, was absolutely beautiful.  As a kid, I’m sure we all remember singing “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” in a manner where one person starts, sings a verse, then begins again, only to have another person pick up a little after, creating a melody.  Imagine this song having four different, yet repeatable verses – one for altos, one for sopranos, one for tenors, and one for bass.  One would sing…then another would pick their respective verse and join in with the original verse…then another would join in…and we would all build on that until you had four different verses being sung at the same time, all different, but all working together beautifully and harmoniously.  I was impressed and I really wish I had recorded it.  One may be able to find a similar version on YouTube, but this song really made my day.  If I was spiritual, it would have been the perfect song to worship to if I had been seeking serenity.

We had a Lord’s Supper consisting of the little crackers and grape juice.  I refrained out of respect, but one difference between how I was raised and how these guys do things:  they pray first, then distribute the goods and eat them as receive them.  A minor detail, but one I found interesting.

We come now to the actual message.  The actual message was one that I would call a combination of good old fashioned southern preaching with a modern twist.  It reminded me more of the message I heard in Newburg at Crossroads – it was a secular subject approached from a Biblical standpoint.  These guys, though, aren’t afraid to mention the devil.  This is the second church out of about five or six that actually mention Satan, so they’re old school in that particular belief.  The preacher also spoke of Adam and Eve, King David, and Peter as real and literal people, and didn’t pretend to use any type of allegory in his words.  Again, they’re old school.

Anyway, what makes this review quite easy is the accessibility of the sermon notes.  This church, to their credit, prints the sermon notes on the back of the bulletin, so all I have to do is copy it.  The title is called:  Relationship Lessons:  Cleaning Out the Attic of the Past

Your Attic – Everyone has an attic in which the pats is stored.  It’s a place where emotionally charged relics live under sheets and in boxes, tucked away in the corners of our minds.  Those memories of when we failed other and when others failed us still haunt and accuse.  The problems we encountered as children and still confront us as adults.  Today, many people are imprisoned by the attics of their past and need to break free.  Your spouse, your best friend, one of your children, or someone else significant in your life needs help in cleaning out the attic of their past and live positive, productive lives.  Too many have allowed the pain of the past to damage the way they see themselves, the way they handle life today, and the way in which they allow God to use their lives for His glory.  I have learned that we cannot change the past, but we can lessen the influence and negative control it has on our lives.

A Few Foundational Principles:  Let’s establish the following ideas:

  1. No one is perfect – Romans 3:23
  2. Some have unrealistic expectations.
  3. Insecurity is real.
Cleaning Out the Past and Moving Forward – Think for a moment of an important relationship in which past sins and failures sometimes get in the way.  You want this relationship to be healty and joyful.  You don’t want past problems to rob your present joy and happiness.  What do you think God would tell you to do in order to help someone clean out their attack (sic) and start anew again”?

1.  Allow the individual to start writing a new chapter in life – Philippians 3:13
2.  Remember that God is not finished with them regardless of their past – Philippians 1:6
3.  Stop counting and start forgiving – Matthew 18:21-22
4:  Don’t forget that God forgets – Hebrews 8:12

This sermon was so easy to follow that, even the few real questions I had, this preacher addressed.  For example:  the fourth point which states that “God forgets”, I made a note that it was an obvious argument against his omniscience.  He responded as I was writing it down (rather eerily) that “some would say that this is an argument against God being omniscient.  That’s not true.  God does not forget in that he has a human capacity to forget – he just does not hold your sin against you.”  Scratch that criticism.  The only other criticism I had was his insistence that we keep “watch” over our thoughts.  He clearly hinted in a way that we unbelievers would hear differently from believers:  “guarding your thoughts so they may not lead you astray”.  For theists, this equates to mental purity; for atheists, we hear mental restriction.  Aside from those criticisms, even I as an atheist can appreciate the general gist behind this sermon.  The importance of practicing forgiveness and letting go of the past is a general nugget of virtue that’s applicable to anyone, believer or not.

I have to admit, there were grammar mistakes in those sermon notes, but they made it easy to follow.  The preacher also had the notes posted up on the PowerPoint as well.  This was probably one of the better messages I heard because, well…it’s what I was used to growing up.  I have a soft spot for similarities to Southern Baptist methods of worship, as annoying as I’ve found it at times.  As for the preacher himself, he was passionate, entertaining, and he spoke well.  He’s obviously been doing this quite a long time.  He was a bit older – probably in his 50s or 60s, but he spoke like a younger man excited by what he’s been “called” to do.

After the sermon, we sang our last song (Amazing Grace), and I darted out as fast as I could because I had another place I had to be.  I had the opportunity to shake hands with the preacher before I left; he struck me as a nice, warm, friendly guy.  I congratulated him on a job well done (out of respect), and he automatically pinned me as new.  He hoped I would come back and thanked me for my visit. 

Overall, this was a fun church and unlike most of my visits, this was not quite what I expected it to be.  I expected a smaller, empty church with loads of spaces in the pews because the congregation is old and dying.  Not so.  My criticisms are few.  I wish there was more of a welcoming committee.  I did look a little out of place, but I get the impression that all of these folks are regulars and they know each other, hence it was easy for the deacon to spot me as newcomer.  Not everyone was as friendly as the other churches I went to as well.  They weren’t cold and indifferent like the Catholic Church, but neither did they go out of their way like the United Church of Christ or the Unitarian Universalist guys did.  Information-wise, they have EVERYTHING printed out on the bulletin, so there's no confusion on what they don't have.  Here’s the breakdown of the final score:

  1. Congregation
    1. Friendliness (.5/1)
  2. Message
    1. Topic Interest (.6/1)
    2. Inspirational/Educational Value (.6/1)
    3. Clarity (1/1)
    4. Applicability (1/1)
  3. Worship
    1. Content (.6/1)
    2. Audience Participation (.8/1)
  4. Outreach
    1. Community Involvement (.9/1)
    2. Variety of Activities (.9/1)
  5. Information
    1. Accessibility (.7/1)

Total = 7.6

No comments:

Post a Comment